Effective Democracy requires Citizens to make choices. Good choices require good information. The ULB Project is an effort to provide urban spaces with the information needed to foster effective democracy.
Our information will enable the strengthening of democracy through;
On our site, you will find information that answers a citizen’s fundamental questions. Questions such as;
1. How are Cities organized in my State? What processes and rules are followed? What are my rights in governance?
2. How much money came into my City last year? From what sources?
3. How much money was spent in my City last year? On what heads?
4. How much money was spent in my Ward? What work was done with this money?
5. How should I check if the work done in my Ward has been done well?
6. What can I do if I find corruption or if I have a better idea for how things should be done?
We follow a rigorous process to ensure that our data is authentic and usable. Our Data Quality Commitment;
1. The Truth – We will not publish anything that is false, fabricated or unauthenticated
2. The Whole Truth – We will not be selective about information. We will publish all data that has been found to be authentic
3. Verifiable and Referenced – All the data we publish will be based upon verified, authentic documents. These documents will be available for inspection of anyone who seeks it
4. Understandable – Our objective is not just to put out data, but to publish information understandable by the common Citizen. We will therefore convert raw data into reports, graphs and other formats to make it usable
We are a Volunteer organization. Our Volunteers are called Information Satyagrahis. An Information Satyagrahi is someone who;
Satya – I will be completely honest with public information
Satyagraha – I will act without fear
Ahimsa – I will act without selfishness, anger or hatred